U.S. tax credits


Form 1116

To avoid double taxation of the same income in The Netherlands and the U.S., you are allowed to claim a deduction in either country, depending on directions from the Income Tax Treaty. You can take a credit for Dutch tax paid or accrued on your Dutch sourced income by filing Form 1116.

Such income includes amongst others:

  • general category income – amongst others, employment income above the amount excluded by filing the Form 2555 (the credit cannot be used for the amount which was excluded), pension distributions, severance payments, unemployment benefits. You can only use your Dutch Box 1 tax for this income category.

  • passive category income - interests, dividends or other investment income. You can only use your Dutch Box 3 tax for this income category.

Read more

Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit

Mailing address:

P.O. Box 3959

1001 AT Amsterdam

The Netherlands

Visiting address:

Keizersgracht 241

2nd floor


The Netherlands

Office Location Eindhoven

Building Fellenoord 100 – 180

Regus 4th Floor



General:      +31 85 8000 095

Amsterdam: +31 20 8208 756

Eindhoven +31 40 266 8668

US Tax:       +31 85 8000 092

Dutch Tax:  +31 85 8000 093


+31 85 8000 090



About us

OnestopTaxPrep has over 18 years of specialization in providing combined Dutch and U.S. tax preparation and consulting services. This specialization has assisted U.S. nationals living and / or working in The Netherlands and Dutch nationals living in the U.S.A.

E-mail disclaimer  *  Terms & conditions  *  onestopTaxPrep © 2009-2018  *  Contact us