Foreign earned income exclusion



If you are a U.S. citizen or a U.S. Greencard holder and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to be excluded from income up to $102,700 (for 2017) of your foreign earnings. In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.

Foreign earned income exclusion amounts

To claim the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, or the foreign housing deduction, you must meet all of the following requirements.

  1. Your tax home must be in a foreign country.
  2. You must have foreign earned income.
  3. You must be either:
  • a U.S. citizen who fulfills the bona fide residency test; or
  • a U.S. Greencard holder who is a citizen or national of a country with which the U.S. has an income tax treaty in effect (the Netherlands and the U.S. have concluded such treaty) and who fulfills the bona fide residency test; or
  • a U.S. citizen or a U.S. Greencard holder who fulfills the physically presence test

Use this diagram from the IRS Publication 54 to check whether you can claim either Exclusion or the Deduction.

Mailing address:

P.O. Box 3959

1001 AT Amsterdam

The Netherlands

Visiting address:

Keizersgracht 241

2nd floor


The Netherlands

Office Location Eindhoven

Building Fellenoord 100 – 180

Regus 4th Floor



General:      +31 85 8000 095

Amsterdam: +31 20 8208 756

Eindhoven +31 40 266 8668

US Tax:       +31 85 8000 092

Dutch Tax:  +31 85 8000 093


+31 85 8000 090


About us

OnestopTaxPrep has over 18 years of specialization in providing combined Dutch and U.S. tax preparation and consulting services. This specialization has assisted U.S. nationals living and / or working in The Netherlands and Dutch nationals living in the U.S.A.

E-mail disclaimer  *  Terms & conditions  *  onestopTaxPrep © 2009-2018  *  Contact us